Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Portfolio Earnings Reports and Macro Musings


A slew of earnings reports have come in. I will summarize them in 60 seconds.

McRae Industries reported earnings that were flat compared to last year. But looking at last year's fantastic results, this is an accomplishment. If the company can show that last year was not an anomaly, then we have a new normal for this company. If so, I feel the company should trade around $40 instead of $30 now.

Wellpoint reported decent earnings. But the market pays more attention to the company's guidance because it is so committed to Obamacare. The company raised its 2014 earnings guidance from $8.20 to $8.50 per share. The new CEO Joe Swedish seemed to have aimed low with this guidance earlier and he is carefully managing the expectation upwards.

Wellpoint is spending considerable money to upgrade its IT systems for Obamacare. The company has already spent $550M. This leads me to believe that the company will have an advantage over other smaller competitors who do not have the scale to do such large upgrades. Wellpoint's success will be tied to Obamacare and the first year Obamacare enrollment numbers do not look so bad. People can slice it or dice it in many ways, but I think the Obamacare enrollment is as good as one could have expected a year ago. The bottom line is, people who don't have healthcare will buy it at a reasonable price.

I think the mainstream is starting to agree with me on this one. Barron's just published a bullish piece on Wellpoint. But I think when the mainstream starts to tout a company, watch out! The stock probably hasn't got much more room to run, and it is time to be contrarian on the stock. I definitely wouldn't add to my position, the only thing I will do in the future is selling.

Petsmart reported mixed first quarter results and they also lowered the year-end guidance. Same store sales this year will be flat compared to a year ago. The stock has tumbled 20% off its peak of a year ago. Today it trades at 14 times forward earnings. But here again, Barron has a positive piece on the company recently, which help the stock recover a bit. I wouldn't buy any more but I also don't want to sell because I dislike the capital gains tax.

In other news, Seaboard Corp completed their tender and announced that it was not fully subscribed. Therefore the buyback price will be $2950, which is the maximum price. I tendered about 15% of my shares.

And ITIC is down more than 20% since I started buying 5 months ago! And I don't really have an explanation for it. I have looked over the company a bit further to see if there is something about it that I missed in my initial analysis. I cannot find anything. Overall the housing market is stable and near-term should improve. The job market is improving which will do wonders for the housing market. Interest rates are up a bit but still near 12 month lows. So, in the absence of red flags, I have added to my position on the way down.

The US has seen inflation pick up to 2.1% yoy in May. Inflation directly affects interest rates and I'll be watching both closely. I own ITIC and four other insurance stocks. Insurance companies have large bond portfolios which would take writedowns if interest rates rise. But everything considered, inflation is a heck of a lot better than deflation.







No comments:

Post a Comment