Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Adding More Japanese Value Stocks

In the last entry I described my view that the way to win in this market is to arbitrage across time and markets.

I've described here that right now the US largecap market is the most overpriced ever. But many overseas markets are reasonable. I am quite heavily invested in Japan and South Africa. I feel quite strongly the coming decade is going to be all about emerging markets and value stocks.

Japan is a value country. It is a very developed country that has been heavily discounted for a generation. But, whereas in previous times Japanese companies mainly disregarded the minority shareholders, now they are much more generous. One can find dozens and dozens of companies that pay more than 3% dividends, and are growing dividends around 10%.

Yes, the persistent explanation for stocks being so cheap is the aging population and their ballooning debt. But look at the US. Their debt is getting up there, and the dollar is stronger than ever. And the same goes for the euro.

In March this year, the US market fell 35% off the peak. And I took the opportunity to add to my Japanese holdings. The table here shows the four stocks I currently own. The latter two I have had for 7 years. Both are up more than 3x when factoring in dividends.

San Takamatsu Tachibana Riken
Price ¥ 1234 ¥617 ¥ 1760 ¥2402
Marketcap (M) ¥ 13820.80
($ 127.38)
¥ 6663.60
($ 61.42)
¥ 45760.00
($ 421.75)
¥ 56687.20
($ 522.46)
ROE % 6.8 9 6.3 8.7
PE 7.45 4.71 10.42 13.78
PTBV 0.51 0.42 0.66 1.27
Div Yield % 2.59 4.05 2.73 1.67
P/NCAV 0.6 0.71


I also added two new stocks. My main criteria are
  • little or no debt
  • high dividend yield
  • growing dividends
  • low PE
The first, is San Holdings (TSE:9628) a smallcap funeral home operator. One might think I bought it because of the recent coronavirus death toll. But not so. The funeral business is hardly a growing business. Coronavirus or no coronavirus, the death toll hardly changes from year to year meaningfully. There is one negative that concerns me. Management said that attendance is lower at funerals because of the dwindling population and cultural trends, This may result in less spending on funerals. I will be paying attention to the number of funerals and the total revenues in the future. But right now San Holdings is the kind of stock that I am looking for: stability during the market turmoil. Yet San Holdings is down 25% off the peak! That 25% is my margin of safey.

The other stock is Takamatsu (TSE:6155) , which is a small niche manufacturer of sophisticated lathes. Now I know very little about lathes in the same way I know little about funeral homes. But their products look very complicated and expensive, as seen below. And they must be very expensive. If there is anything we learned from the current crisis, it is that the coming decades we need to rely more on automation. We need automation to serve the sick and to reduce overcrowding in factories. When you have this kind of a backdrop and the company sells for less than 5x earnings and pays 4% dividends. That's all I need to know to decide to buy.



A reader may think my analysis is very simplistic. But I make no apologies! My analysis will never mention fancy terms like enterprise value (EV), bullshit earnings (EBITDA) or sharpe ratio. My investment theme is based on simplicity, as explained best by this video. I highly recommend watching it.

That's it for Japanese stocks. In my next post I will go into some other new stocks that I acquired during the recent crash. Right now is an exciting time to invest, and I've been busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment