Saturday, April 17, 2021

Why I Sold Installux

In my earlier Installux post, I said I was on the fence about my Installux holdings and I would wait until annual earnings report before doing anything. Three weeks later I got cold feet and decided to dump all my shares.

My rationale was mainly the price support. The following chart shows that the current price is at a recent high. But I found that the company in 2020 bought back 5452 shares and the entire year's volume of trading was only 8534. Therefore, the company bought back 64% of the total shares traded in 2020! In 2019, the company began its buyback program with a cap of € 410. I just sold all at € 390 because I figured that's as high as it will get. There isn't enough support from the open market to ever go above the € 410 cap. As I have shown in an earlier post, the company's revenue and income numbers have shown mediocre growth in the last several years. And the stock price has justifiably never surpassed the 2017 high.


Installux was one of the first stocks I bought since writing this blog. In 8 years the stock has returned 14.5% including dividends. In USD, my functional currency, the stock has returned 13.5%. My gut says that's a resounding success. But after pondering about it for a while, I am a bit disturbed. If 13.5% is a resounding success, then I am expecting most of my other holdings to perform worse. What is average? Maybe 9-10%. What is bad? Less than 4%? Then by my admission, my methodology may only be able to get about 10% total returns. Now I have never disclosed my overall returns, because I simply don't know. But when I started this blog the back of my mind was saying I could do 12%. I am kind of disappointed that I clearly cannot.

5 comments:

  1. I also sold Installux. However when looking at realized returns you should also consider the implicit risk. Installux 8 years ago was a relatively "low risk" bet due to the big cash pile.

    Another point to mention is that 8 years ago, interest rates were higher and return expectations as well. These days you should expect less returns going forward than 8 years ago..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes no doubt this stock isn't going to return 14.5% going forward. That's why we sold right?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog. You are a true contrarian investor. Most of foreign stocks I have bought are thru the OTC market.

    What broker do you use to execute these trades?
    I am based in Canada and the only options seem to indicate Interactive Brokers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks that means a lot to me.

      Keep your eyes peel for another new stock writeup.

      as for my brokers:

      TD waterhouse: Canadian stocks
      US IBKR: Israel, Baltics
      US Fidelity: Greece, S. Africa

      Ya no broker will support every country, you have to use a mix like I do.

      Delete